X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input and the welcome fellas! I will be surfing the site more when it gets close to departure.

I hope we get into them and I will post reports. I have hunted them in the spring in SD and in ND in the fall with marginal success. We accumulated a pretty good spread now, so we're ready to scout and shoot.

A friend of mine will be up there the same time as us and he always does really well, but they definitely put the effort in.

Comment

Originally posted by rat_boy View Post
      Surprised to see some guys down and out about a season that hasn't even begun! Even if conditions aren't perfect, there is always a chance of shooting something if you put the effort in.

A few of us are am coming up to the Quill Lakes area on the 11th and this is my first time crossing the border for birds. Needless to say our group is jacked as most of the other guys in the group haven't been up there either.

From what I've heard, the SOBs had a great hatch this year and that means lots of juvies coming down. Either way, I plan on having a great time and it definitely beats working!

Any helpful tips and reports would be much appreciated...

Shoot straight everyone!!!
      I'm with ya rat_boy! I'm not much for the gloom and doom because I'll be having a good time either way. If it means more windshield time, so be it. That's half the fun anyways. I'm jacked just like you...

Comment

I heard many crops at this point are not ready to be swathed or cut.

Comment

I called the co for the area that were are going to hunt this year and he said all the crops got in and harvest is right on schedule, with the first of the peas being cut right now.There have been a few cranes starting to show up but thats about it right now...t-30 days...

Comment

T-minus 12 days, and as always i'm goin banana's with excitement! I have a feeling my area is pretty near you Adog, I'm just thankful to be able to hunt! i have high hopes for a much better mallard year, but it is what it is! Either way, Waterfowl season is here and thats a great thing!

Comment

Water status

I hunt around the Kindersley area. Last year was on the dry side. How is it this year? Are many sloughs still dry? This will be the last year for my oldest son as next year he'll be in college(I hope). We won't be up there til October but the juices are starting to flow. Any updates are appreciated.

Comment

I'm with rat_boy...Literally.... heading up with him and some ole high school buds. Can't wait to visit/explore/hunt this area of Saskatchewan. Iv'e hunted from Ontario, ND, SD, MN, IA, and live on the Mississippi. I've been there when it is phenomenal and I've been there when the bottom has dropped out. Like rat_boy always says..."It is what it is." If guys are willing to put forth effort, have the understanding, and knowledge of waterfowling they will have success and memories from the hunt that will last a lifetime.

Comment

They had good moisture around Kindersley. Put on 1000 km yesterday round trip through some nice looking wheat, barley and lots of pea fields. Saw a few combines and a lot of swathers working, still a few weeks till it all comes down.

Comment

Saw a flock of sandhills here in SD 2 days ago while hunting. I was surprised to see them in the states already!!

Comment

sandhills are moving through last 2 days not stopping here must be piling up in north dakota.... if there is crop down there pretty much just canola swathed here some peas done but very poor crop so nothing left in the fields.. rain in forecast for next 3 days going to be a very late harvest even if it does quit raining once we hit sept can get frost any time and that is even worst news for late harvest....

Comment

Talked with our farmer yesterday and he wasn't all doom and gloom. The peas were coming off strong with decent numbers of cranes already in them. He said that at least 65% of the crops were in but running 2 weeks behind schedule. Sounds like we will be able to find a field or two.

Comment

There will definitely be plenty of birds to shoot. Can't wait for departure!

Comment

10 more days and getting more jacked as each day passes!!!

Hope you guys and gals pound some up there before us, but save us a few...

We took the edge off with a 4 man limit of giant honkers in WI this morning! Bring on the SOBs!!!!

Comment

Shot my first snow geese today while out scouting for honkers. I seen about 40 or so and a couple of flocks of specks. I didn't see any last year until the 12th. They are early. Next to impossible to set up a hunt yet, nothing swathed or combined. We had a 1/2 rain on Weds and they are forecasting up to 2" this weekend. Will it ever stop this year.

Comment

Awesome....Were are you at in SK? don't need details just general vicinity.

Comment

Working...
                                X