X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Sillosocks

Has anybody had success using canada sillosocks in with their fullbody spread in the fall for canada's. Was thinking about buying some to boost the spread for later in the fall. Just wondering if anybody has had success with this.

I know they use a lot of canada silo socks in the texas panhandle saw a show on the outdoor channel they crushed them little canadas.

Comment

I think they might work on lessers, but there are not for me. I hunt highly pressured big canadas and I need more realism, so I use GHG fullbodies!

Comment

Didnt take long for someone to bring out "well there okay but this brand is the best!".

They work plain and simple. Great for light wind days. Bounce perfectly. Any decoy will kill decoys, just have to be where the birds were and want to be. I know a guy in Northern Illinois that is going to run 10 dozen of them next year. Said he ran 5 dozen this year and spanked them. I run 2 dozen northwinds in our "XXXbrandXXX" fullbodies and geese like it. We are going to add 2 dozen SS Canadas this year for motion.

Comment

Easy here chief...im just saying I can guarantee I wouln't harvest many...if any geese with sillosocks. If consistently hunted lessers then yes they might work. Take a chill pill man

Originally posted by DonkeyCart View Post
          Didnt take long for someone to bring out "well there okay but this brand is the best!".

They work plain and simple. Great for light wind days. Bounce perfectly. Any decoy will kill decoys, just have to be where the birds were and want to be. I know a guy in Northern Illinois that is going to run 10 dozen of them next year. Said he ran 5 dozen this year and spanked them. I run 2 dozen northwinds in our "XXXbrandXXX" fullbodies and geese like it. We are going to add 2 dozen SS Canadas this year for motion.

Comment

The Canada Sillosocks mix in nicely with a full-body spread. Sillosocks also add some motion to the spread, which the full-bodies lack. I've personally ran a spread of 24 Canada Sillosocks with 5 Dave Smith Decoys and had great success.

TIM

Comment

I was definately looking into getting a bunch of these for this season. I hunt alot of fields were the only way in is a 1/4 mile or more walk.

Comment

I run traffic and my spreads stays out all season. We used to use Northwinds, but after a wind drivin snow or rain even the bodies would fill up and sag. Do the Silosocks do that.

We tried cutting holes in the back of the body, but the snow would still get stuck???

Comment

Never mind, I just read the Rain vs. Silosock thread. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jer View Post
                    Has anybody had success using canada sillosocks in with their fullbody spread in the fall for canada's. Was thinking about buying some to boost the spread for later in the fall. Just wondering if anybody has had success with this.

Jer,
                    I think they would be an excellent addition to your spread. About half the cost of just 6 fullbodies for a dozen silosocks plus added motion. We run a mix of fullbodies and silosocks for snow's which I think are about as difficult to decoy as any waterfowl. I also hunt some highly pressured giant Canada's late in the fall. I believe that it's more about location location location and being well hid then the actual brand of decoy. Even with the right location best hide and worlds greatest most realistic decoy's and calling - sometimes the birds will give you the web toe and completly ignore you.
                    I plan to add a couple dozen to my fullbody Canada spread this fall.The silosocks are so fast to set up/take down that you can easily decide during the hunt if they are helping or hurting. You can hide 2 dozen or more right in the layout blind with you. Win Win good luck.

Qac

Comment

The new ones we have and sell from 2009 and up are really nice. They are bigger than the years beyond that and the detailing is good. When we do hunt canada geese we run about 100-130 of them and do good.

No we are not hunting highly pressured staging canadas like they do in some areas i know of in colorado or MN so i cant vouch for that but we need to use the sillosocks due to storage space while hunting snows..

MikeC
                      218-341-4477

Comment

do they still make the smaller canada sillosocks? i hunt mainly lessers and would like if they were a bit smaller...plus i'm sure they'd cost less to make if they were smaller as well

Comment

we hunt lessers more and more now adays (seem to get more of them in the past few years than greaters and are much bigger flocks too!) in Nebraska on the Platte River/Rainwater Basins/Surrounding corn/bean fields and use less than 50 canada decoys but supplement them with 100-300 snow sillosocks. Works very well on lesser canadas (hutchies/cacklers).
                          ________
                          BED BATH AND BEYOND GIFT CARD
                          Last edited by huntngear; 04-03-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X