X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada goose Sillosocks?

Is anyone running the Canada SS in their spread? If so how are they working out?

I was thinking of adding a few dozen for motion.

Thanks for any info.

I have seen them in action they work great, they will give you exactly what you want some motion in a lifeless spread.

Comment

I've used them they're a good decoy

Comment

I just bought some Canada Silosocks from Cabelas and of the the two dozen shipped on seperate orders both were missing the stakes. Both dozens were shipped back which is not a problem, I understand mistakes can happen from the manufacturer, however the quality of these decoys leaves much to be desired. The Tyvek bodies are stapled to the corregated heads with a normal secretaries office stapler as are the white cheek patches. Of all the fastners in the world an office stapler is the best they can come up with!! I cannot imagine serious snow goose hunters not having problems with the construction of these out in the field day in and day out. Maybe you just need to carry a stapler with you for field repairs? I'd personally go with the deadly decoys for $10.00 more a dozen.

Comment

I use the sillosock decoys almost exclusively I just returned from spending the time from Septmeber 28th through the November 19th in the field with them. During this time I had conditions that ranged from 0 mph winds to gusts in excess of 50 mph. During this time I had no issues with the durability of this product. Since I bought my U.Vision sillosocks last March they have spent a minimum of 80 days in field. For time a they were part of a permamnent migrator spread that not only withstood rain and snow but more strong winds. Out of my original 35 dozen from last spring I have 6 decoys that I need to reglue the stakes in. There is no problem at all with the durability of this product secretary's stapler or not.

Comment

Originally posted by tealman View Post
            I'd personally go with the deadly decoys for $10.00 more a dozen.

Deadly's are close to $30/dozen more and are 10 as heavy

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I have a bunch of Snow SS and they are great. The reason I want to try the Canada SS is to add motion to our lesser spread. If they are like the snows, which they are, the motion should be awesome.

I also have some Deadly's. They are nice, but much heavier and a pain to transport.

Thanks again.

Comment

I recommend the Canada Sillosocks; plenty of movement with light winds, easy to carry and store, the feather detail looks great, hard to beat for the money. I have mixed them with my DSD's and they look great and the geese like them too.

TIM

Comment

I mix them when I hunt ducks in the fields. I use a dozen sillosocks and 12 full bodies all around me while laying in a sled. The ducks I put behind me-(120 or so). This pulls in both ducks and geese. Seems to work very well. I'm going to try a few of Jim's proto type turkey decoys this Spring. Very easy decoys to put out and pick up......and the birds like them too!! Duckmaster

Comment

I have had some of my sillosocks for 3 spring and fall seasons. I hunt a lot and in ND our winds can howl. I have had NO issues with durability and I don't baby my gear. I was initially worried about the staples but they hold up better than you could imagine. Great decoy and great customer service.

Comment

We were somewhat concerned about the staples as well so we bought an industrial stapler for 9.00 and a box of 2000 staples. We went to work stapling them and then pinching the to ends together with a pliers. Its just something else you can do during the long winter months of waiting in anticipation. Since stapling them ourselves I can't remember more than just a couple that have come unstapled but I think they were from geese landing on them anyways. Sure doesn't hurt to keep a stapler in the trailer for when you might need one.

Comment

Working...
                      X